A Jewish cemetery, opened in 1880, adjoins the public cemetery directly to the west.
The synagogue adjoined the building to the east; the western section included a classroom at street level, the residence of the school teacher and cantor on the floor above.The synagogue, built in 1878, wrecked in 1938, is commemorated by a plaque at the corner of Grosse Mantelgasse and Lauerstrasse.Graves dating to the 18th-19th century are in the old cemetery on the Klingenteichstrasse.More than 300 years old, the cemetery is situated east of town in a romantic forested setting.Jews from neighbouring locales are also buried there.
It is only a few kilometers from Weinheim to Mannheim.The city was once home to one of southern Germany's major Jewish communities.The alley ends at the "Judenturm" (Jew Tower) that was part of the towns fortifications. The synagogue at Buergermeister-Ehret-Strasse 5, built in 1906, was destroyed in 1938.The bath house has been converted into a memorial to the former Jewish community.
South of Hemsbach, in Weinheim, the "Judengasse" (Jew Alley), dating to the Middle Ages, is one of the mementoes recalling the former Jewish community.The old Jewish cemetery at F 7 was forcibly cleared in 1938.The remains of its 3,585 dead were laid to rest in the cemetery on Feudenheimer Strasse.In 1925 its congregations had nearly 7,000 members.At least 1,300 of them perished during the Nazi regime.